City Kids Parent Take-Home
Big truth: God is the Judge who judges justly
Christ connection: Jesus took our judgement on the cross
Memory verse: Psalm 32:1 song
Blessed is the one whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered.
- What does a judge do? Do you think judges are perfect? Why or why not? What sort of judge is God?
God is most just and always makes good judgments, because He is holy, wise, and knows all things.
- The people in Sodom and Gomorrah did bad things because they had stuck-up, selfish hearts. Are we any different?
No! We all have a sinful hearts that reject God.
- Did Lot deserve to be rescued? So why did God save him? Why does God save us?
No, God rescued Lot because of His grace. Jesus would take Lot’s sin – and our sin – on the cross.
- Lot’s wife looked back because her heart wanted to stay in the sinful city. When are some times that our hearts want to take part in sin? When we think: “I’d like to do that”?
Our actions and hearts are important. We can be influenced by others around us.
- When your heart wants to sin, what can you remember about God?
God is better than sin! Jesus frees us from the punishment of sin, and also sin’s power. His Spirit helps us to say no to sin, and to love God more.
Family Discipleship activity: newsroom
As appropriate, watch or read a news story together. Why is there so much injustice in the world? Can any government, ruler, or protestor fix it?
Why is it a good thing that God is just and will deal with sin?
Spend time praying for the world, and asking Jesus to return to make everything right.